Tuesday, March 22, 2005

so good!

I don't even know how I'm in such a good mood today. Maybe, I'm making the most of one of my last fave days of the week for the teaching - I have three groups today, and they're all great. I also managed to make it to the salles de profs in time to check my email, a true rarity since my first class is at 8 am!

Possibly the reason my spirits are so high is because I spent yesterday afternoon/night reading the first 300 pages of In the City of Shy Hunters by Tom Spanbauer and it is SO fucking good I'm thinking about getting a commemorative tattoo. INdeed, not too long ago I was bitching my sweet head off about the inesecapable suckiness of modern gay lit and then I see this book at the Fac library in Brest. I decide to follow up, because I remember being interested in reading his novel, The Man Who Fell in Love With the Moon.

It's really exciting to read an author who is not only a good gay writer, a good writer from the west coast...but someone who writes with such joy, such craziness, such spark and passion and richness. I'm about halfway through the book and I seriously love it.

Also, I am finally trying to looking into getting my carte de sejour before I leave. Y'know, just in case it becomes impossible for me to leave this country once I am stopped at the douane and forced to spend the rest of my days in a interrogation closet buried away somewhere in the heart of Charles de Gaulle II. Obviously, it could happen. Even if I have been told repeatedly by other offenders that no one actually cares, no one will even notice.

But my number is up, clearly! I can feel it in me bones. I have smuggled. I enjoy pathelogically lying to people on planes. I drink and mix painkillers on planes, as it is generally the only way I am able to fall asleep. This time, they will stop me in my devil-tracks and I will surely know why the caged bird sings, it's lyrics, etc.

OK, obviously the caged bird is a metaphor and not to be interchanged with a jailbird, but whatever, I'm the one writing this blog and I will inappropriately co-opt whatever I like whenever I want and damn the consequences! Unless they involve me getting stuck in this country.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you know, if you're going to turn into some sort of cock-eyed optimist, i won't know what to do.

my significant other brought shy hunters over here and really loved it, but i haven't yet been pulled into it. i actually thought it was this random sort of grocery store novel, but obviously i did not read the whole book, but rather a couple of pages.

speaking of good gay lit: i am a big fan of the comic novel, and one of the best i have read is misadventures in the 213.

it is 2:06am and i'm not even drunk. who knew. it could be that i cannot breathe because of goddamned allergies. beurk

6:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home