Monday, November 20, 2006

why oh why

Must it be such a trial for me to blog on the reg? I suppose it is symptomatic of the vicious laziness that is locked about me like tigerjaws on babyelephant head. But laziness-be-damned and depression-get-thee-behind-me, for this weekend blew wind into the sails of my being. Or maybe that was the alkeyhaal.

Friday was simply a matter of excess for excess' sake - after a ten hour day at work, I wanted to explore the world through the lens of an empty wine bottle - my tiredness yielded to a surprise guest re-appearance by the spirit of my youth and I ended up staying up until 4 or 5 in the morning.

Needless to say, Saturday got off to a slightly later start than usual. I met up with Jonas (from the Kentucky Shade, my beleaguered, be-managed be-and) and his girlf (I'm going to push for this word's welcome into our lexion) Sara. We took a long, traipse-y walk around the East Austin Studio Tour, starting off at Bolm Studios (one of my fave local studios and a highlight of last year's tour). Bolm was not at its most impressive, but I really liked the work of a dude named Shea Little. I was thinking about cash-advancing myself $150-$200 for one of his pieces featured in the show - and I am obviously not in a non-precarious financial situation. What-so-fucking-ever. But he put together these strange, mixed-media found-object-y maps (or what looked like maps) of strange, future cities of nuclear plants. I didn't know what to make of them, but couldn't really pull myself away. I only felt that way about one other piece I saw that day, at Stacked Studios (out by my old house) where I saw an awesome 2X4 woodblock with modern comic art - a masked man shooting the stomach out of one of a pack of zombies with a pop-art-inspired BLAM hanging over it. But, obviously, I bought neither.

After the tour, Jonas, Sara and I went out for a lovely/expensive dinner of moules frites and wine. Sara and I had been attempting to get together for this FOREVER and it was good to finally do it (even if the moules were really not that bomb whatsoever and if I hadn't been drinking for free all day I would have balked much more substantially at the price I paid). The mussels (or moules), while not exactly prepared to perfection were rather impressively sized - and they had a fairly cheap white Bordeaux that went nicely along.

After dindin, it was prep-time leading up to the show I organized at the Carousel for Little Aurora (my ex-roomie's band), Corto Maltese (disgustingly prodigious group of semi-friends) and....some dude I slept with six months ago. Homeboy really busted out an incredible performance (on Sat) complete with small intermissions for dance pieces. He did a fucking man-voice/uke cover of a Mariah Carey song, ferchrissakes. The LA came together with a vengeance and at this point I was drunkenly sitting right in front of the band in chairs with my beloved friendtaur for the last two songs - lady K-Boz (aforementioned ex-roomie) continues to look deep into the wilds of fashion-future when assembling her costumes and usually pulls of some maddeningly psychodelic old-lady fashion that would have anyone else looking the fool. Corto...what can I say about them but that they are a rather alarmingly good band. And for some reason I need to try and give them some fucking 'hints' such was my wastitude - what the fuck do I really know about making music? nada, obvs.

Much photos, muchmuch staying up late.

Sunday, my second chance at studio-touring glory, quickly buckled under the weight of my need to sleep. And then buckled further with my desire to have a late, boozy brunch with the friendtor - we only got to hit a handful of places on Sunday. Conversely, it was more work of people I knew being presented in a much more intimate space (someone's home/yard and stacks of weird storage unit thingies). Then, once evening was upon us, it was off to the showing of my friend's cool short doc at Pacha.

And more ridiculous heights of stay-up-late-ing.

My room is finally a gorgeous, perfect red. I am still obsessively avoiding the full unpack.

In mere moments or much later tonight I'm going to take another hot streetwalk down memory lane and follow up every blogpost I could find from this day. Surprisingly complete for my parts of my life I chose to remember and acknowledge.

1 Comments:

Blogger Veronica Meewes said...

guess what- shea little is one of the people i;m working with on organizing the tx biennial! i do love his found-object map-quilt-things...!

11:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home