Wednesday, January 10, 2007

all I want is having you and music, music, MUSIC

FALLING IN LOVE WITH AUSTIN MORE EVERY SECOND OVER HERE!

First, there was this. No big deal. Just David fucking Lynch, leaving his footsteps all over my destiny. Desperately hoping my dreamweaver shows up in tow, but it is doubtles an impossible dream.

But THIS?!

How much more can my heart take, Austin! What's scariest about this rumor-plagued lineup is that it will probably at least double. Oh. My. Fucking. God. Whatever happens, I have to not work during SXSW.

And my original best friend just sent me an email informing me that she and her mang are coming for the extravaganza! Hurrah!

Okay, so, some recent musical purchases I would like to plug are...

Beach House - S/T - This is the official music of driving home stoned at 3 am. It sounds like if Nico (who I'm finally not creeped out by anymore!) and Ladytron were trapped in a burning building together and afterwards their shit is all fused together. Um, sonically. As it were. It has a really beautiful blend of actual accoustic music and cheesy synth. When the girl isn't riffing on Nico, she almost sounds like Hope Sandoval - also not a bad thing!

Midlake - The Trials of Van Occupanther - These boys make me proud to be a Texan! Smart, low, classic-sounding (I've heard comparisons to Fleetwood Mac and the Eagles, respectively - I'm staying out of that one) with rich, smooth arrangements. Though the opening song 'Roscoe' threatens to steal the album's spotlight with its classic rock redux and meandering allegory, I think the best songs are 'Van Occupanther' and 'Young Bride' are the album's best tracks. The first, a dreamy dram of heartbreak. The second has all the energy of the single, but the strings here add a lot to the sound and the lyrics recall any number of too-young-for-eyes-that-sad girls.

Beirut - The Gulag Orkest - I almost like this more than Devotchka, though the sound is strikingly similar - Zac Condon, the multi-instrumentlal group's ringleader commands all the charm and grace of Devotcha's Nick Urrata at the tender age of 20. He works with a glimmering mass of gorgeous brass, strings and accordians - but no mothafuckin' guitars! No, sir! I think the best song on here is 'Idle Days (Mount Wroclai)' but I'm a whore for the accordian, even if it is an instrument which damns the player to homelessness.

Stereolab - Whatever the Fuck Their New Compilation is Called- Hard to believe I went through so much of my life without Stereolab! But thanks to the helpful nudgings of Jenn Daly and Benj, I have now embraced it via this disc. Obviously, it's perfect for me - hot chick singing about weird shit, periodically in French, with a Portishead-meets-Smiths-esque sensibility. Me. Likey.

That's going to do it for me (again). I wanted to drop props to this music and also stretch out my critic's muscle as I want to try and get reviews written for the new Oblio Joes and Lights CDs, both of which were sent to me ages ago so I might review them. I suck!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home