Wednesday, January 10, 2007

finally!

It seems every single night I go to bed, I recall quite suddenly the phenomenon I have termed 'déjà rêvé.' I do not begin to recall my dream from the night before until I am slowly drifting toward slumber the following night. Strange indeed! And each half-unconscious eve, it strikes me as if for the first time. And each night I rather swear to blog about it, for I find it quite strange to say the least. I suppose it was telling of me feelings of rut-ishness.

At last, I rather feel that things are on the upswing. Yesterday proved to be a rather exceptional day. In spite of semi-crazy allergies (which I have finally admitted to the existence of - I've been allergy-free my entire non-TX life!) I decided to hit up a few drinks at the Elephant Room after work last night. I used to go there constantly, in my early days of Jenn Daly worship. I miss the dank, cellar-ian ambiance - the 'who gives a fuck if you smoke in here' of it all. The scads of be-written-upon dolla bills all up above the bar, sailors swearing to their return.

Perhaps my nostalgia was warmed up by the deeeelightful Lisa B serving me up a freebie from the get-go. Perhaps.

Saw a friend I haven't seen in a bit play a happy hour intermission - in some ways, she reminds me of Tori Amos, but with a much deeper, raw-er voice. The imagery, the darkness and the originality of her text was really awesome though, in a completely different way from Tori. You can just kind of see the influence - they are only strictly comparable by being women singing and playing the piano.

Anyway, it was a nice start to the evening off there, catching up with the various members of Jenndaly's entourage (for she had her hand in the turnout for this event, assuredly) with whom I have shared many fond memories, dinners and holidays. Yay!

A few cocktails later, it was off to my new herbalist's house - and after a few moments of conversation, it was revealed that he knows my dear friend Beth and worked with her for quite a while at three different coffee shops! Lord those kids get around. It was awesome to stumble across this total 'Austin is the biggest little city since Reno' moment, as they truly define this place. He agreed with me on that, as well. And he even showed me scenes from Lost and the Al Gore doc respectively (whatta gamut to run!)! Yay for liking your herbalist!

Then it was over to Josh and Jared's, where the drinking scene definitely got a little out of hand waaaay before I got there. I wished a young ex-Coloradan a happy 19th (gods, were any of us ever that young?!) and set sail shortly after. I did, however, find out that Sam, the drummer for the band I manage is being ousted! Que escandalo! I must pick up the slack and become a drum prodigy at once, as their successful future lies in my wildly capable hands! And by wildly capable, I mean musically retarded and eerily irresponsible.

Then it was a latelate viewing of Princess Mononoke with Beth (yep, that one!) and Stacey. My love for that movie is wildly reaffirmed, as is my desire to become Ashitaka. What a badass! What a beautiful, strange and parable-ic world! If I could live inside the movies of Miyazaki, I fucking would. I would also have to be living off of pay-otee (deliberately misspelled to damn the google) and liquid acid, I imagine.

It was good for my old soul to have a super-late night - I so long to return to the days when to sleep during daylight was the norm.

Well, that should do me now. If the heavens are with me, I will re-blog some love over recent musical acquisitions later today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home